Friday, December 19, 2008

Coptic Binding

Pin It Now! Christmas is around the corner and it's almost time to close my Etsy shop so I can work on my own family's gifts. I find it a bit tricky to come up with ideas for handmade gifts for men. Most men aren't into cutesy little coin purses, tissue holders, or scrabble tile pendants. Leather. Now that's manly. Looks manly. Feels manly. It even smells manly. Mix leather with paper and you can't go wrong. This is my first attempt at bookbinding using the Coptic stitch. Coptic binding is really nifty because it enables the book to lay flat when opened. I used some scrap olive green leather for the cover and strap and waxed linen thread for the binding. If you have a Tandy Leather store in your area, they usually will sell their leather scraps for about $7 per pound... nice big chunks good for baby shoes, small books and patchwork leather pants if that's what floats your boat.
This practice book is tiny... only 3 inches square. It has nine signatures (those little folded sections of paper). 5 pages in each signature. Front and back that's 180 pages in this particular book. I'm planning on making 2 to 3 more in a small journal size to give as gifts. If you're interested in learning the Coptic stitch, I encourage you to do a search on YouTube for a tutorial. I had a lot of fun putting this little book together and loved the actually stitching part of it... I found it very relaxing and therapeutic. Just what I needed during this merry, yet extremely stressful holiday season :)

4 comments:

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

I am glad you have found yet another interesting project. You are good girl. My next find is the toothbrush rag rugs. I want to learn how to do one for my house just for fun. I have researched it a bit, but Summer's massive quilt has taken presidence.

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Hi Jodi! I am the wife of Denny's cousin, Grant (did ya follow that?). Anyway, I just discovered your amazing blog...I linked over from Lynette's blog because I fell in love with the blocks and bibs that you make and wanted to buy some for myself! And before I knew it, I realized that we were related!!! Small world, huh?!? Anyway, I just wanted to compliment you and let you know how great all of your work is! As soon as your etsy store is up and running again, I'm sure I'll be placing an order for blocks! If you guys are ever in San Antonio, let us know!!! We'd love to get together!

--Alyssa Griffeth
thegriffethfamily.blogspot.com

Linda said...

You are amazing Jodi! I love your blog. Hope you had a great Christmas!

Love,
Aunt Linda

Linda said...

Hey Jodi, thanks for the comment on my blog! I love yours! You (and Janell) are totally awesome and amazing! Your kids are adorable! Love ya!