Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Patience of Quilters (not me)

Pin It Now!
I am by no means a quilter, but I definitely have gained an appreciation for the art of quilting by making this quilt. It all started last May when I came up with the brilliant idea of making a “Summer Quilt” for our bed. It gets stinkin’ hot here in Houston, and I thought, “Gee, I’ll just make a fast and simple quilt to use just in time for summer.”… FOUR months later, I finally finished. The actual piecing of the quilt top only took me 4 hours. So far, so good, right? Then I basted the batting and backside together, bought myself a 14-inch quilting frame and started hand quilting. What was I thinking? I already know that I’m not a patient woman, so what made me think I could finish quilting a queen-sized quilt at anything more than a snail’s pace? Long story made short, after 12 hours of hand quilting, I went to the store and bought a walking-foot. Two hours later, I was done quilting. I must admit, I love the vintage look of hand quilting much better than machine quilting, but for my “simple summer” quilt, I threw up my hands and said, “screw it!” So all you quilters out there… I am in awe.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jodi, this looks amazing! I'm beginning to think you and I have very similar tastes!

Janell said...

Wow Jodi! That quilt is beautiful! You've got more patience than me. I would have given up after the first hour and gotten my sister to finish it. ;)

Linda said...

Beautiful quilt! I'm so jealous of all the "Easley" girls talents!

Juddie said...

Just beautiful! I've been planning to make a quilt for ages now but haven't had the confidence. This is very inspiring and I think I'll give it a go this summer ....